Advice from Kyung-Ah Park, Executive Office Division
Kyung-Ah Park, head of the Environmental Markets Group in the Executive Office, shares five pieces of advice that she would give her younger self:
1) Focus on your clients. We all have clients, regardless of whether our role is internal- or external-facing. Establish relationships with these clients, understand their needs, and deliver high-quality service to them.
2) Be an owner. Focus on the performance of your team and the firm in addition to your own, and take ownership of outcomes. Having an ownership mentality will make you a better team player and a stronger leader.
3) Become a go-to person. Establish an area of expertise for which you will be sought out. Leverage your expertise to have a point of view and voice it – both inside the firm and externally in the industry.
4) Be your own advocate. Don’t just put your head down and assume others will know what you want. Believe in yourself, be your advocate and seek opportunities to stretch yourself.
5) Pursue your priorities. Personal and professional priorities will shift and there will be trade-offs, but know what they are and go after them. It’s okay to zig zag in your career as long as you’re pursuing what matters most to you.